A beautiful you is the key to a more confident, happy you. We are not talking about beauty standards as defined by someone else, we are talking about beauty as you perceive it. This can pertain to any part of your body, including your breasts. Advanced procedures in cosmetic surgery today provide the key to attaining your vision for yourself. One such procedure is breast augmentation surgery.
What is Breast Augmentation?
Attaining a breast size which complements the rest of the body structure is an important need and goal. Breast augmentation refers to the set of cosmetic surgery procedures which lead to enhancement of the breast to a more desired size. Medically it is known as Mammoplasty, and is the umbrella term for the following procedures –
- Breast enhancement using breast implants:
This procedure makes use of artificial breast implants made from silicone gel and places these implants in the breast to give it more volume and shape as per your requirement. There are several types of implants which are used in the breast augmentation procedure, the key aspect being that they should be FDA approved and made from silicone gel.
- Smooth Implants – these are the latest in technology, completely transparent and smooth in touch and texture. They are used to give a more natural look and feel to the breasts.
- Nano-Textured Implants – these implants are translucent to look at. Made with the highly advanced technology, their texture is also almost smooth to touch, and they are also used for more natural looking breasts.
- Textured Implants – as the name suggests, these implants are textured and rough to touch. You can feel the various troughs and crests on the surface, these implants have been found to have more association with breast cancer.
- Saline implants – all three types of implants mentioned above are made from silicone gel, both as the outer casing material as well the filler material. Saline implants also have a silicone gel outer casing, while the filler material is a saline solution.
- Breast enhancement using fat-grafts:
This is a more natural procedure for breast augmentation, to the extent that instead of an artificial implant, excess fat from other parts of the body is used as the “natural implant” to enhance the breast size. This procedure makes use of liposuction techniques to remove the excess fat, which is then grafted inside the breast for more volume. This procedure works when you are looking at half to one cup size enhancement. If you need to go up by more, then you will opt for breast augmentation using breast implants.
Breast Augmentation / Before & After
Plastic surgery is an art, and Dr Priya Bansal is an artist. With a mantra to make women feel beautiful, her work demonstrates all that is aesthetically pleasing and natural to look at. The before and after images of her procedures are testament to that, and you can request for them during your initial consultation
Are you a viable candidate for Breast Augmentation?
Please look at the below-mentioned statements and see if you can check the box against one or more of them.
- I have a small, almost non-existent breast profile.
- I have a broad shoulder profile and full hips and buttocks, my breasts look out of place because of their small size.
- I am not satisfied with my cleavage; I would like it to be deeper.
- I recently lost a lot of weight, now my breasts look misshapen and have lost volume as well.
- I am pushing 40, I have breastfed 2 children, and my breasts are not what they used to be. They have lost volume.
- My breasts differ in size. I am afraid to take full profile photographs and meet people because of my visibly lopsided appearance.
If you marked the checkbox against even one of these scenarios, then you are likely a viable candidate for breast augmentation. The rest may be determined after consulting a gold medalist plastic surgeon, who may prescribe certain tests to ascertain that you can undergo the procedure, or correct any issues which may be preventing you from being a viable candidate.
Breast Augmentation – Understanding the Process
This is basically a four-step procedure to ensure that you have a safe experience and a happy end-result.
This is the first step in the procedure – understanding what it entails, the timeline to plan for, understanding its implications on your lifestyle and finalising your surgeon. This is one of the most crucial aspects of the entire process. Finding the right surgeon is key to attaining the desired goal and keeping it safe.
You should only consult a plastic surgeon, who is proficient in the latest and best techniques and uses FDA approved equipment for the procedure. Compromising on this aspect for saving money could have dire consequences in an otherwise safe procedure.
You should also take time and understand the nuances of the procedure and clarify any misgivings or misconceptions you may have during this phase. For instance, a breast augmentation procedure does not do any of the following:
- Reorient your nipples and areola.
- Give you breasts which are too big for your body.
What it can do, is the following:
- Increase volume in the breasts and give them the desired shape.
- Improve their projection.
- Give them symmetry.
- Bring the hip and breast structure in sync.
- Act as a confidence booster when you are happy with how you look.
This forms step 2 of the procedure. Once you have decided to go for a breast augmentation procedure with the surgeon of the choice, this phase is when as a team, you chart out the entire roadmap of the procedure. This includes the surgeon understanding your requirement, showing 3D simulations, reworking to move to the desired result and ordering the customized implants (in case opting for implants).
This phase also includes choosing the type of procedure and implant and determining the site of incision and site of implant placement (above or below the muscle). The surgeon will also understand your medical history to make the relevant adjustments in current medication, or add new medication as the case may require.
During this phase, you will also be required to follow certain pre-surgery protocols, such as stopping smoking and drugs, and avoid any unprescribed medication including anti-inflammatory drugs.
The actual procedure is an outpatient, day procedure, with same-day discharge. Once you are under anaesthesia, the incision is made either along the areolar edge (peri-areolar incision), the fold under the breast (inframammary fold) or in the armpit (axillary incision). Through the incision, the implant (artificial or natural) is placed either behind the breast tissue or behind the pectoral muscle, as determined during the planning phase. The incision is then closed using absorbable sutures.
Surgeons make the incision and plan the sutures in a manner that there is minimal scarring, which fades over time, and is also placed where it is not visible to the naked eye, as far as possible.
Recovery after breast augmentation is fast, subject to you following all the protocols prescribed by the surgeon. First thing to understand is, that the following are normal after the procedure –
- Swelling, bruising and discomfort during the first 48 hours.
- Some swelling and bruising remains for up to one month.
- Changing look of the breasts over 2 to 3 months, till they settle into their final position.
Non-negotiable protocols to be followed for recovery –
- No sudden movements or heavy workouts for at least two weeks. Normal routine and walks are acceptable.
- Use of compression garment or bra for at least four weeks after the procedure.
- Consulting your surgeon before resuming heavy physical activity, about 6 to 8 weeks after the surgery.
- Consulting your surgeon in case of any out of the ordinary symptoms.
Schedule a Consultation
Some Points to Remember
While understanding the entire procedure, it is important to remember that breast augmentation procedures are extremely safe, subject to you consulting a gold medalist surgeon and following all the surgeon’s instructions, while making sure to not withhold any information.
Complications like anaesthesia risks, hematoma, infection, scarring, loss of sensation to the nipple, implant rupture, capsular contracture and persistent pain are all avoidable when you take your case to an expert. A breast augmentation procedure is a life-changing decision, and one should not cut costs with something so important.
Done right, this can be one of the best and happiest decisions of your life. Make sure to treat your surgeon like your partner – share your apprehensions, clarify your doubts, give your approval only when you are satisfied, but remember to extend them the same courtesy. Trust your surgeon to guide you right and trust their instincts when they are offering any suggestions. One solution truly does not fit all, and your surgeon will customize a roadmap unique to your requirements, so try not to compare what with what you have read or seen in others.
Dr. Priya Bansal is a master in her field, with years of experience and training behind her. She offers personalized counselling and strongly guards her patient’s privacy. Her strong work ethics make and expert skill set along with focus on patient satisfaction make her your true partner in this journey.