What is Facial Fat Grafting?
Hollowed chins, baggy eyes, fine lines and wrinkles – no, you are not perpetually tired, you are not unwell, and you are not necessarily old. Yet you face these questions time and again, leading to loss of self esteem, and irritation too. Facial fat grafting or fat injection or autologous fat transfer is a cosmetic surgery procedure where we take excess fat from another part of the body and reinject it inside the relevant facial area for a more plump and rejuvenated look.
Is Facial Fat Grafting the Right Procedure for Me?
- 1. Do you have sunken or hollowed cheeks (on account of weight loss or age)?
- 2. Do you have dark circles or the presence of bags under your eyes?
- 3. Do you have wrinkles on your forehead or fine lines on other parts of the face?
- 4. Do you have crow’s feet you want to get rid of?
If any of these issues are pain points for you, then opting for a facial fat grafting procedure will help with the following –
- Adding volume to the sunken pockets.
- Toning the facial skin by adding volume.
- Giving you a youthful appearance.
- Reusing excess fat from another body part on the face – that is two birds with one stone.
It is important to understand that this procedure will not change the facial features completely, change the natural contours of the face.
Facial Fat Grafting – The Procedure
Consult a board-certified surgeon to understand the procedure and chalk out the course of action.
Facial fat grafting is a 4-step procedure, it is a day care procedure which is performed under local anaesthesia and involves the following steps –
- Isolating the donor sites – areas of the body with excess fat which can be used for the grafting.
- Fat harvest from the donor site using liposuction.
- Purifying and treating the fat -the harvested fat is treated and sedimented to remove blood components and oil to get a good quality fat. This decreases chances of absorption of fat.
- Injecting the fat implant on the facial site which is called the recipient site.
The end result is a full, proportionate and youthful face that you desire.
Schedule a Consultation
This is a safe procedure since fat is used from one’s own body for grafting.
- Bruising and swelling may be felt on donor or recipient site, which goes away in a few days.
- Regular activities may be resumed next day post op.
- The results are visible once the swelling and bruising has subsided.
Please follow all precautions advised by the surgeon for complete, safe, and speedy recovery. Meet Dr Priya Bansal, a board-certified female plastic surgeon, to learn more about the procedure and its benefits. With years of experience behind her, Dr Bansal believes in high level surgical care and meeting the patient’s needs.