What is Liposuction?
Liposuction refers to the umbrella of cosmetic surgery procedures which work on removing stubborn and excess fat (unwanted, diet and exercise resistant) from various parts of the body. Whether you are struggling with fat on buttocks, hips, love handles, thighs, calves, ankles, breasts (including male breasts), back, arms and neck – liposuction is the procedure which helps eliminate this fat for a leaner body contour. Largely considered a medical boon, it helps an individual attain a fitter physique.
Liposuction works by removing or reducing specific fat pockets from different parts of the body. There are different techniques of liposuction, ranging from traditional to employing the latest technology to cater to specific requirements and faster processes. These include –
- Suction-Assisted Liposuction (SAL) – The most traditional method of liposuction, where fat is removed by vacuum. This procedure focuses on removing unwanted fat from specific areas of the body.
- Power-assisted Liposuction (PAL) – Performed using MicroAire for minimal tissue damage. It produces a gentle back and forth motion which reduces the trauma to the tissue. It greatly increases the precision thereby making the surgeon’s job easier.
- Hi-Definition Liposuction – to target small pockets of stubborn fat. This procedure works by selectively removing fat while enhancing the natural muscle contour. This procedure works particularly well for those who workout regularly but are unable to attain a toned and chiselled look.
- Ultrasound-assisted Liposuction (UAL) using Vaser – for painless and minimally invasive procedures. The procedure uses sound waves to melt fatty deposits, making it easier to remove them through smaller incisions. It is one of the most sophisticated and modern techniques used for liposuction.
- LASER – This procedure uses laser to disrupt the fat cells.
Liposcution / Before & After
Plastic surgery is an art, and Dr Priya Bansal is an artist. With a mantra to make women feel beautiful, her work demonstrates all that is aesthetically pleasing and natural to look at. The before and after images of her procedures are testament to that, and you can request for them during your initial consultation
Who can go for Liposuction?
Do any of the following fat-related woes sound familiar to you?
- Excess tummy fat, causing a protrusion on your belly, severely restricting your wardrobe.
- Mommy tummy, which is not going even after following strict diet and exercise regimes.
- Presence of male breasts, making you extremely conscious. You avoid going to the beaches or wearing fitted t-shirts.
- Fatty buttocks. They make you conscious while making it difficult to shop for fitted lowers.
- Chubby ankles, which has been the point of teasing.
- Presence of love handles.
- Unwanted pockets of fat on your thighs.
- Presence of love handles or tyres on your waist or other parts of the body.
- Sagging underarms due to the presence of unwanted fat.
In fact, you name a body part, and there is a possibility that you are struggling with unwanted fat, which is not going away despite healthy lifestyle choices. These are highly localized fat pockets that you may be struggling with.
You need struggle no more. Liposuction procedure can help you battle these fat pockets.
Benefits of Undergoing Liposuction
Opting for liposuction is associated with the following benefits –
- Getting rid of exercise and diet-resistant fat pockets.
- Giving your body a more proportionate structure and contour.
- Increased self-esteem and confidence – nothing works better as a confidence booster than looking into the mirror and liking what you see.
What liposuction does not do?
While there are many benefits associated with liposuction, there are some things it cannot do, an understanding of which is essential to forming realistic expectations.
- Liposuction does not tighten the skin. The procedure helps remove fat, therefore, if you have good skin elasticity, it can give wonderful results. However, if you have poor skin elasticity, then liposuction may leave you with hanging skin. You may have to club liposuction with skin tightening procedure for optimal results in this case.
- Liposuction does not change your body structure; it only removes or reduces excess fat while retaining your original body structure.
Liposuction – The Procedure
Understanding the process and opting for the surgery
The world of cosmetic surgery is ever growing. With high levels of advances in medical science and technology, and the adaptation of the same in the Indian industry, cosmetic procedures have become very safe, with fast recovery and a great aid in meeting your aesthetic needs.
Liposuction is a safe procedure which helps get rid of excess fat pockets from different parts of the body. The decision-making process involves an assessment of the nature of your problem, understanding how liposuction will tackle that problem, the benefits associated with the process, a realistic assessment of what it cannot do, and how risks involved in the surgery can be mitigated by your surgeon.
Finalising the surgeon and the centre
Which brings us to the second part of the decision-making process – finalising your surgeon and the centre where the surgery will be performed. It is imperative that you opt for a board-certified surgeon when exploring liposuction. They offer access to the best in medical technology while minimizing any potential complications from the surgery, such as bleeding, anaesthesia risks, persistent pain, etc.
Naturally, this comes at a cost. But, when it comes to liposuction, quality is paramount and should not be compromised. The additional cost comes with the expertise, infrastructure and care which an expert, board-certified surgeon brings to the picture.
Planning for the Surgery
To plan for the surgery, the surgeon understands your requirement and medical history. Some blood tests may be prescribed to understand the body’s readiness for a surgery. The patient must stop smoking or taking recreational drugs at least two weeks prior to the procedure.
During this phase, the surgeon meticulously plans every step of the procedure, therefore, the patient plays a crucial role in ensuring that the surgeon has all the relevant information to plan right.
Liposuction – The Actual Procedure
Liposuction is an outpatient procedure, with same day release. It is performed under local anaesthesia and follows the following steps –
- Anaesthesia administration.
- Making a hidden incision at the site of the fatty area. Dr Priya Bansal works with tiny incisions to ensure that the scars remain hidden while being small in size. She uses techniques which make it possible to safely remove the excess fat via these smaller incisions.
- Inserting a cannula.
- Removing the excess fat using the liposuction method (mentioned earlier) finalized during planning. Each site requires approximately 25 minutes for the procedure, with time going up or down depending upon the exact technique in use. The fat is suctioned out only from the storage area, not the metabolic area.
- Suturing of the incision and dressing of the wound.
The results of the procedure are visible immediately.
Dr Priya Bansal is well-versed in using PURE Contouring which combines three different technologies for liposuction –
- Power assisted liposuction using MicroAire
- Ultrasound assisted liposuction using Vaser
- Radio Frequency Enhanced Contouring using Arvati/BodyTite
This leads to groundbreaking results as it combines the three technologies for minimally invasive and painless procedures with minimal tissue trauma. By combining these three techniques, Dr Priya Bansal is able to work with tiny incisions through which even the most stubborn fat can be removed. The use of Vaser breaks down the fatty deposits into smaller segments (without damaging the nerves or blood vessels), while the use of MicroAire ensures that there is minimal damage to the underlying tissue. The use of Vaser alone may lead to skin burns, by combining Vaser with MicroAire, this risk is mitigated.
Once the excess fat is removed, the job is only completed by contouring the remaining skin to give a toned and chiselled appearance. This is done by using RF based device for skin tightening and smoothing. There are two methods which may be used for this –
- THERMISMooth – to reverse the signs of ageing via non-invasive, dermal heating for natural results.
- THERMITight/BodyTite – to regenerate collagen by releasing RF energy and tightening the skin.
Dr Priya Bansal’s liposuction procedures lead to minimum patient downtime with desired and natural looking results.
Schedule a Consultation
Liposuction – Recovery after the Surgery
Recovery after liposuction is fast and the patient can return home on the same day. The exact timeline may vary as per the body part from which fat is removed.
What is Normal During Recovery
- Mild to moderate pain may be experienced for the first 72 hours. Pain killers may be prescribed to help with the pain.
- Mild swelling may be observed after three days, which goes away in the next two to three weeks.
- Desk jobs may be resumed after two to three days while other routine activities may be resumed from the next day itself.
- Restrict heavy movement and workout for three to four weeks. Resume after consultation with the surgeon.
- It is advised to wear a compression garment for four to six weeks after the procedure – the exact timeline may vary on a case-to-case basis.
Following all protocols, both pre- and post-surgery will ensure the best outcome and speedy recovery, while making the procedure safe.
Keep your surgeon apprised of any post-op developments. Do not neglect the post-op consultations. Meet Dr Priya Bansal, to learn more about the procedure and its benefits. With years of experience behind her, Dr Bansal believes in high level surgical care and meeting the patient’s needs.